DEPARTMENT OF COSTUME DESIGN AND FASHION
The department has been established in the academic year 2018-2019 to inculcate ethical values, nurture creativity and to develop design professionals.To train the students towards college culture and to make them aware of the various technical terms of the department. In order to carry out the progress of the department we have an association called “Fashionista”. Ms.J Sakthidevi, was the Head of the Department in 2018 onwards with 1 staff members in the department.
PROFILE OF THE DEPARTMENT
Welcome to the Department of Costume Design & Fashion
The department was established in the year 2018 under Periyar University & offers a three year degree programme. The curriculum equips the students with the knowledge required for pursuing a wide range of careers in management, designing, production & to become an entrepreneur. The courses are blended with practical components to explore, experience and gains hands-on skill. Students visit the industries to keep themselves abreast of the industrial practices. They are also encouraged to learn arts & crafts to increase their creativity.
There are laboratories for pattern making, sewing, embroidery, CAD, dyeing, printing & textile testing & also offers value added courses. The students are given opportunities to participate in extracurricular & co-curricular activities like group discussion, quizzes, cultural meets, conferences & seminars which will enhance their communication skill, creativity, leadership qualities & team work.
Every year the department proudly presents costume show designed and developed by students on their own. The department has dedicated faculty who focus on the continuous development of students to achieve their ambition. Through various labs the department offers certificate course for the students of various departments.
- Impart creativity, innovation, and a desire to challenge the status quo.
- Possessing entrepreneurship and problem solving skills.
- Making powerful learners through training and skills development.
- Allowing them to become economically independent and transfer their skills to others.
Ms. J SAKTHIDEVI, M.Sc., M.Phil., M.B.A.,
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT
MS R G SWETHA M.Sc.
THEORY PAPER DETAILS
- English – I
- Tamil – I
- Allied – I Sewing Technology
- Value Education – Yoga
- English – II
- Tamil – II
- Major I – Fibre to Yarn
- Environmental Studies
- Fabric Manufacturing (FM)
- Care & Maintenance of Textiles
- Allied II-Fashion Designing
- Historic Costumes & Textiles
- Wet Processing
- Allied III – Dynamics of Fashion
- Human Resource Management
- Computer in Garment Industry
- Textile Finishing
- Dyeing & Printing
- Garment Quality & Cost Control
- Organization of Garment Unit
- Boutique Management
- Fashion Merchandising
The CDF department is equipped with latest equipments & machineries. This laboratory facility enables the students to practice on the machinery to gain practical knowledge and facilitate project and new developments.
- Pattern Making Lab
The students learn to do paper or block patterns for kids, men & women which are the basic patterns.
- Garment Designing Lab
In this lab students will stitch garments for infants, kids, men & women with their taste and measurements. Students will gain knowledge in Seams, seam Finishes, hems, fullness and various garment parts
- Fashion Draping Lab
The lab enables the students with usage of various dress forms & also provides comprehensive knowledge and variation in necklines, collars, sleeves, fullness, evening gowns, shirts.
- Textile Testing Lab
The students study about physical testing and identifying the fibers & also understand the principles of various textile testing machines.
- Basic Illustration lab
This lab enables the students to learn the basic techniques of sketching and drawing fashion figures & they will understand basic concept and various silhouette sketching.
- Fabric Design Analysis Lab
This allows the students to understand the elements of woven design with draft and peg plan for different types of weaves & also the technical details of dobby, jacquard & knitted fabric.
- Fashion Designing Lab
The students are made aware of prang and munsell color chart & illustrate garment design for elements of design, principles of design, color harmony & figure irregularities`
- Wet processing Lab
The students gain practical knowledge in pretreatments of fabric before dyeing & about dyeing mechanism.
Surface Embellishment Lab
This practical provide comprehensive knowledge about various hand and machine embroidery stitches & to foster understanding of traditional Indian embroideries, motifs and color combinations used.
- Dyeing & Printing Lab
In this practical student will learn about various dyeing (batik, tie & dye) & also printing (block, discharge) techniques.
- Computer Aided Designing (CAD) Lab
The students are made to use the softwares like adobe photoshop, coreldraw & textile CAD which allows them to draw images and colour it on the screen.
- Fashion Accessories & Ornaments Lab
Thie practicals allow the students to learn about making hand bags, purses, bows, hats, belts, foot wear, jewelleries etc.
- Beauty Care Practicals
The students are trained by beautician from beauty parlour & training is given to them in this regard.
- Portfolio Project
This final year project helps the students to design garments based on themes like seasons, colours & trends.
The Department of CDF has separate racks for textile & apparel books and also department library is also there. The library operates from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm for the benefit of students and staff members which contains books, journals and magazines and a collection of CD’s in the area of textiles.
2021 – 2022
– Conducted certificate course on “Beauty care & wellness”
2020 – 2021
– Organized webinar on “Career Guidance for Textile Students”
– Conducted certificate course on “Beauty care & wellness”
– Conducted certificate course on “Garment Decoration & Embellishment”
2019 – 2020
– Conducted Intra-departmental programme on “The Fashion Contest 2K19”
– Organized add-on course on “Wealth out of Waste”
2018 – 2019
– Conducted certificate course on “Training Programme on Dress Making & Ornaments”
– Organized add-on course on “Accessories making & Jewellery Designing”
– Conducted National Conference on “The Use of Fabric in Stent Grafts for Heart Surgeries”
To provide an excellent opportunity to interact with practical knowledge in the industrial environment and theoretical knowledge, visits are organized.
- On 12-03-2020 we took student of our department to Tamil Nadu Sericulture Training Institute (TNSTI), Hosur
- On 22-12-2021 went to Sha Baniyan Company, Denkanikottai
STAFF PAPER PUBLICATIONS
In International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts ISSN: 2320-2882 Sakthidevi J presented a paper entitled “Indian Garments using Chinese Fashion History” and Swetha R G presented a paper entitled “Application of Egyptian Jewellery Designs on Ladies Kurti by Hand Painting” in the year 2022.
The department organized Industrial Visit to Tamil Nadu Sericulture Training Institute (TNSTI), Hosur
|12/23/2018||Christmas day Celebration (Dance Competition)||Abinaya.M|
|12/21/2019||Intradepartmental Program (Fashion Sketching)||Pavithra.P|
|Craft Work||Uma Maheswari.M|
|Nail Art||Deva Dharani.U|
|8/6/2019||Facon Intercollegiate Meet – Muthayammal College, Rasipuram (Dress a doll)||Jayalakshmi.M (I-CDF) won 2nd prize|
|12/21/2019||Christmas Day Celebration (Dance Competition )||Deepthi.S (II-CDF)|
|Mubena Preethi.S (II-CDF)|
|Jaishree.M (II- CDF)|
|Naseem Taj.I (II- CDF)|
|1/13/2020||Dance Festival (Couple Dance)||Deepthi.S (II-CDF)|
|Group Dance||Monikaa.K (II-CDF)|
|2/19/2021||Literary Ornate (Fashion Parade)||Aarthi.K|
- To familiarize students with Textile CAD
- To make students aware of E – business
- To train students to open their own boutique stores
- To encourage them to become an entrepreneur